The Friends of the Crusher Lot is a community organization formed to promote the beautification, restoration, improvement and protection of the Crusher Lot (aka the West Woods or the Ottoson Woods) in Arlington Heights, Massachusetts. We aim to keep the woods clean, safe and natural. We invite active membership in the organization and seek to represent the community of neighbors and users who care about the Crusher Lot.
Visit our story walk, Wendy Pfeffer’s A Log’s Life, at the Crusher Lot (behind Ottoson Middle School) from May 1 – May 15. The story begins at the end of Harvard Street. Thanks to the Friends of Crusher Lot and the Robbins Library Foundation.
On April 24, 2021, twenty Friends and Neighbors spent two hours in the woods collecting every bit of trash, including an old boot, an antique water bottle, many other “historic” artifacts, and much broken glass. Thanks to everyone for removing the unnatural from the natural. We also got a lesson from Conservation Land Steward Michael Ratner on how to identify and safely remove invasive garlic mustard and bittersweet.
- All volunteers must pre-register for the clean-up. Registration shall include your name, address, cell phone or e-mail. Please send the information to email@example.com and check in at the check-in table in the clearing when you arrive, or use the form in the sidebar.
- All volunteers must complete the volunteer indemnification agreement at check-in and those completed forms will be forwarded to the Arlington Recreation Department at the conclusion of the event.
- Masks and 6’ Social Distancing are required at all times.
- No sharing of equipment, or sanitize any shared equipment between uses.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided at the check-in table in the clearing.
Every year around this time, a spring opens up in the woods, draining down towards the Lehigh-Harvard path, and spilling over to run down into the Ottoson parking lot.